by Neville Kennard, veteran preaching and practising capitalist
People smugglers know how valuable a trip to Australia can be, with a good chance that their customers will eventually get permission to stay and even citizenship, not to mention welfare benefits, health care, unemployment handouts and housing.
The so-called people smugglers are providing a good service at a market price for those who will take their chances — some discomfort on a rust-bucket boat, some risk from the ocean, some inconvenience while bureaucrats “process” their “applications” for “refugee status”. The rewards at the end motivate the customers to pay their money and take their chances.
But if there are people queuing up, risking hardship, paying money, why would this opportunity not be grasped in both hands and exploited. Why give money to people-smugglers and soak the Australian taxpayers, while inept government processes are followed and welfare benefits handed out?
I know the word “exploit” is rather politically incorrect these days, but don’t we seek to exploit our opportunities, our talents, our time and energy? Don’t farmers exploit the market and the seasons? Don’t miners exploit their finds, and don’t taxi drivers exploit the passengers’ needs to get somewhere? Exploiting someone in trouble does seem harsh, but the boat people have chosen their journey; mostly they are economic refugees, not necessarily poor, who see a brighter future in Australia than in their country of escape.
So why don’t we take advantage of and exploit the opportunity of people wanting to come to Australia and match them with those who need labour and skills and resourcefulness? Why give the money to the people-smugglers and to the bureaucrats who take it from the tax-payers? Why not use the market, eliminate the middle-men and allow those who need labour and skills to deal directly with the refugees and would-be immigrants?
The big winners in this arrangement would be the immigrants, their sponsors and exploiters, the Australian economy, the taxpayers. The losers would be the people-smugglers and the bureaucrats. My heart bleeds!
Given a market in migration all sorts of clever arrangements would be worked out. Entrepreneurs would come up with unimagined plans and schemes business arrangements to the benefit of all the voluntary participants.
It is highly unlikely that such a “harsh”, exploitive, capitalist method will be adopted; too many vested interests and bleeding hearts, and it would be seen to be “undemocratic” (whatever that means).
Oh, well, it is fun to dream of business opportunities, of alternatives to wasteful government, of ways for all to benefit.
- Welcome from Neville Kennard
- Think Tanks Don't Work
- "Market Failure": Just what the government ordered!
- The Tragedy of the Tax Pool Commons
- Corporate Welfare
- Citizenship for Sale?
- I Don't Vote
- Voting: Right or Privilege?
- Stockholm Syndrome and our Love-Hate Relationship with Government
- Civil Disobedience: The Rules of Engagement
- Should Respect for Law Extend to Bad Laws?
- Jaywalking as a Demonstration of Individuality
- Government Likes War
- Collusion is Our Right
- Why Not the Drug Olympics?
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Tiger Farming: An Alternative to Extinction
- Looking Backwards: Mont Pelerin Society Conference, Sydney, 2010
- Tax Avoidance is a Patriotic Duty
- Kennard Writes to IPA Review Editor
- Genocide by Welfare: A Tragedy from the Aboriginal Welfare Industry
- Separating Sport and State
- Your Home is Not an Investment
- Dick Smith, Celebrity Philanthropist
- A Libertarian's New Year's Resolution
- Extend Politicians' Holidays to Create Prosperity
- Entrepreneurs are Disruptive, and Bureaucrats Hate It
- What is a good Australian?
- Governments Like Employment But Hate Employers
- The Market Failure Industry
- Neville Kennard: The Tax Avoidance Imperative
- Wot if ...?
- The Tribal Chief and the Witch Doctor
- The Tannehills
- Democracy versus Property Rights and Prosperity
- Government Doesn't Work, and That's the Way They Like It
- Minarchy vs Anarchy
- Euthanasia and Self-Ownership
- The Right Policies to Fix a Depression
- Is Howard Our Best PM?
- Tax Producers vs Tax Consumers
- Where There's a Queue, There's a Business Opportunity
- Authoritarian Freedom
- Why Classical Liberals Should Debate Anarchocapitalists
- The Tyranny of the Majority
- If you could choose to whom you paid your tax
- Business Should Exploit Boat People
- The Immorality of Trade Unions
- "America" vs "The United States"
- Sweet Anarchy
- The Illusion of "Job Creation"
- Gold Is Money
- Guilty Capitalists
- Prosperity vs Growth
- Capitalism vs Democracy
- More people = More fun
- Self-Ownership - the very idea!
- Government will murder Neville Kennard if he doesn't back away
- The Australian Dollar Has Been Cowardly and Criminally Devalued, Harming the Poor Particularly
- Is Taxation Theft and Government a Tax Cheat?
- My Journey to Anarchy:
From political and economic agnostic to anarchocapitalist
- Government Needs Bad Guys –
that's why they like wars
- What Is Obscene?
- Traffic Economics
- Wayne Swan stands on the shoulders of other intellectual pygmies
- Neville Kennard Obituary