by Neville Kennard, preaching and practising capitalist
Economics.org.au is a welcome addition to the scene of economic and philosophic discourse in Australia. To date such analysis and discussion on Free-Market Economics and Personal Liberty has been lead by such Think Tanks as The Centre for Independent Studies and The Institute for Public Affairs. These fine institutes do a good job in disseminating ideas, but they are compromised by a need to please their financial supporters and thus can’t offer views and ideas which are too far from the mainstream. CIS and IPA both involve themselves in “Policy”, and associate with politicians; this tends to legitimise governments and the gross violations of personal freedom that governments perpetrate on their citizens. These Think Tanks have, unfortunately, become part of the Mainstream. They are no longer fresh and new.
Benjamin Marks, a serious student of radical free-market Austrian economics, of anarcho-capitalist philosophies, of Mises, Hayek, Rothbard, Hoppe and of Mencken intends with Economics.org.au to offer fresh views and radical opinions and alternative references.
As a long-time Think Tank supporter, first Chairman of CIS and enthusiastic proponent of un-fettered markets and “extreme” personal liberty, I welcome this new entrant to the debate. I hope it will challenge the conservative/classical liberal views of many and will promote a robust debate over “degrees of freedom”. As former US Presidential Candidate Barry Goldwater said “Extremism in the defence of liberty is no vice.”
I wish this new venture well and encourage debate and discussion on its pages and blogs.
- Opening Salvo — Summary from week one of Economics.org.au.
- Think Tanks Don’t Work — another article by Neville Kennard.
- Welcome from Neville Kennard
- Think Tanks Don't Work
- "Market Failure": Just what the government ordered!
- The Tragedy of the Tax Pool Commons
- Corporate Welfare
- Citizenship for Sale?
- I Don't Vote
- Voting: Right or Privilege?
- Stockholm Syndrome and our Love-Hate Relationship with Government
- Civil Disobedience: The Rules of Engagement
- Should Respect for Law Extend to Bad Laws?
- Jaywalking as a Demonstration of Individuality
- Government Likes War
- Collusion is Our Right
- Why Not the Drug Olympics?
- Unconventional Wisdom
- Tiger Farming: An Alternative to Extinction
- Looking Backwards: Mont Pelerin Society Conference, Sydney, 2010
- Tax Avoidance is a Patriotic Duty
- Kennard Writes to IPA Review Editor
- Genocide by Welfare: A Tragedy from the Aboriginal Welfare Industry
- Separating Sport and State
- Your Home is Not an Investment
- Dick Smith, Celebrity Philanthropist
- A Libertarian's New Year's Resolution
- Extend Politicians' Holidays to Create Prosperity
- Entrepreneurs are Disruptive, and Bureaucrats Hate It
- What is a good Australian?
- Governments Like Employment But Hate Employers
- The Market Failure Industry
- Neville Kennard: The Tax Avoidance Imperative
- Wot if ...?
- The Tribal Chief and the Witch Doctor
- The Tannehills
- Democracy versus Property Rights and Prosperity
- Government Doesn't Work, and That's the Way They Like It
- Minarchy vs Anarchy
- Euthanasia and Self-Ownership
- The Right Policies to Fix a Depression
- Is Howard Our Best PM?
- Tax Producers vs Tax Consumers
- Where There's a Queue, There's a Business Opportunity
- Authoritarian Freedom
- Why Classical Liberals Should Debate Anarchocapitalists
- The Tyranny of the Majority
- If you could choose to whom you paid your tax
- Business Should Exploit Boat People
- The Immorality of Trade Unions
- "America" vs "The United States"
- Sweet Anarchy
- The Illusion of "Job Creation"
- Gold Is Money
- Guilty Capitalists
- Prosperity vs Growth
- Capitalism vs Democracy
- More people = More fun
- Self-Ownership - the very idea!
- Government will murder Neville Kennard if he doesn't back away
- The Australian Dollar Has Been Cowardly and Criminally Devalued, Harming the Poor Particularly
- Is Taxation Theft and Government a Tax Cheat?
- My Journey to Anarchy:
From political and economic agnostic to anarchocapitalist
- Government Needs Bad Guys –
that's why they like wars
- What Is Obscene?
- Traffic Economics
- Wayne Swan stands on the shoulders of other intellectual pygmies
- Neville Kennard Obituary